Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Can you hear me now?

A friend of mine recently gave me a link to an article about high pitched ring tones that adults can't hear. I never knew this stuff existed! I love how the ring tone was originally meant to be, and I quote the article, "an ultrasonic teenager repellent." It's like spraying water on your cat. Teen bugging you? Blast the noise and solve all your problems! Teen-b-gone!

It really is a horrible noise, by the way. I don't know why anyone would want to use it. And anyway, whether adults around you can hear the noise or not, what's the point? If you're in class and can't pick up your phone anyway, why suffer through the painful screech?

I tested this on my mom. She really can't hear it. It's a little sad to think about losing something you're not even aware of losing. This might explain why I can feel when the tv is on from another room, while my mom is astonished at this and doesn't understand when I complain.

Read the article here. You can hear the tone there for yourselves.

No comments: